U.S. Department of Agriculture
Washington, D.C. 20250
Central Supply Stores
December 4, 1992
Office of Operations, Personal Property Management Division
To provide management guidelines for the purchase of office supplies from the Department's Self-Service Store and Bulk Warehouse.
USDA offices located in the Washington, DC metropolitan area shall use the Self-Service Store or Bulk Warehouse as a first source of supply when acquiring general office supplies.
AD-14 Request for Supplies, Forms, and/or Publications
This regulation revises Departmental Regulation No. 5300-1, issued on January 24, 1991.
OO Office of Operations
PPMD Personal Property Management Division
CSD Customer Service Digest
CSS Central Supply Stores
CSSAC Central Supply Stores Authorization Card
CSS, as used in this regulation, refers to both the wholesale (Bulk Warehouse) and retail (Self-Service Store) supply mission of OO.
a Customer Agency will:
(1) Provide Central Supply Stores (CSS) with the name and telephone number of an employee(s) designated as Authorizing Official for CSS matters, and/or designated as a member of the Supply Services Group;
(2) Request issuance or cancellation of, and report lost or stolen Central Supply Stores Authorization Cards (CSSAC) in accordance with the Sample Format (Figure 1). Lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately after they are discovered missing;
(3) Arrange for completed cards to be picked up at the Self-Service Store in Room 0304, South Agriculture Building;
(4) Obtain to the maximum extent office and general supplies from the CSS for use in Washington, DC, metropolitan area offices;
(5) Compare the verification copy of CSS sales slip (Figure 2) with the monthly sales report to certify accuracy and to preclude the possible misappropriation and/or misuse of supplies; and
(6) Review the quarterly report of active and canceled CSSAC's for accuracy and report any discrepancies immediately to CSS.
b Personal Property Management Division, Office of Operations will:
(1) Provide overall management for the operation of the CSS;
(2) Establish policies, standards, and procedures for operation of the CSS and for use of the store and warehouse by customer Agencies;
(3) Prepare and issue CSSAC's (Figure 3) to employees of customer Agencies as requested by authorized officials of those Agencies;
(4) Maintain an active listing of all Agency Officials for CSS matters, and/or member(s) of the Supply Services Group;
(5) Provide authorized Agency Officials with a quarterly listing of all active and canceled CSSAC's for verification purposes;
(6) Reissue CSSAC's in accordance with a predetermined schedule of expiration dates; and
(7) Provide authorized Agency Officials with a monthly report of all transactions made by employees of that Agency, for verification and/or accounting purposes.
c The Self-Service Store Operator will:
(1) Verify the validity of all CSSAC's presented for use in the Self-Service Store before allowing admittance to the store;
(2) Assure that the person presenting the CSSAC's also has a valid USDA Photographic Identification Card or equivalent before allowing admittance to the store;
(3) Provide each "shopper" with a blank Customer Supply Information form (Figure 5), a clip board, and a pen to record stock numbers, descriptions, and quantities of items as they are selected;
(4) Verify that all selections are accurately recorded on the Customer Supply Information form before the "shopper" exits the store;
(5) Detach and hand to the "shopper" the sales slip (pink copy) of the completed transaction;
(6) Provide customers with a Customer Service Digest (CSD) Form (Figure 4) for recording stock discrepancies, complaints, suggestions, or general comments;
(7) Submit the CSD to the Stores Supervisor for action as appropriate; and
(8) Process stock return items, giving credit, and informing the Bulk Warehouse of the reason for the item(s) return.
d The Bulk Warehouse Operator will:
(1) Validate appropriation symbol (Central Supply Stores Authorization Card Number) as numbered and assigned to Form AD-14 for the purchase of bulk supplies;
(2) Fill and deliver all office supply orders to a loading dock or to a central delivery area within 7 working days upon receipt of Forms AD-14s;
(3) Make notations on the customer receipt copy if a supply item is out of stock or is on back order; and
(4) Obtain an authorized signature in the receipt block of the requisition (AD-14); and
(5) Issue a monthly report to Agency Officials of supply items purchased by users of the CSS.
e The Shopper will:
(1) Only enter the Self-Service Store if they have a valid USDA identification card, or equivalent, and a valid CSSAC issued in their name, and present both to the store operator before proceeding to make any selections. (Note: shoppers will be allowed to have only one individual accompany them to the store who is not a card carrying customer and the store reserves the right to limit the number of non-card carrying shoppers who enter the store.);
(2) Properly complete the Customer Supply Information form and accurately record the stock number, item description, and quantity of all items selected in the Self-Service Store;
(3) Sign the completed sales slip;
(4) Assure that the sales slip receipt (pink copy) is provided to their designated Agency official for review;
(5) Present a copy of the original sales slip (pink copy), when returning items to the Self-Service Store for credit because of over-purchase or damage to the item. (All items must be returned within 5 days from date of purchase); and
(6) Assure that all Forms AD-14 (Figure 6) sent to the CSS's Bulk Warehouse are signed by the authorized representative of the Agency and contain the appropriate CSSAC number, delivery address, telephone number and/or other pertinent accounting codes.
f The Authorized Agency Official(s) will:
(1) Sign all requests for issuance or cancellation of CSSAC's and report all lost or stolen cards in accordance with the Sample Format;
(2) Arrange for completed cards to be picked up in Room 0304, South Agriculture Building, when notified by the CSS office that cards are ready;
(3) Compare packing list receipt copies (pink) forwarded by Agency "shoppers" with CSS' monthly report to assure accuracy and validity; and
(4) Review the quarterly listing of active and canceled CSSAC's provided by CSS for accuracy.
Agencies will be billed monthly through the Central Accounting System for a fixed percentage share of CSS costs including both cost of goods as well as management and operating costs. Agency fixed percentages are based on the actual cost of items purchased by each agency in a prior 12 month period.
The Self-Service Store is located in Room 0304, South Agriculture Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250. Room 0304 is at the North end of the 3rd wing on the basement level. Telephone (202) 720-2155.
The Bulk Warehouse is located at 3346 Hubbard Road, Landover, Maryland 20785. Telephone (301) 436-4219.
10 HOURS OF OPERATIONS
a The Self-Service Store is open for business from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
b The Bulk Warehouse is open for business from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.